Monday, December 21, 2009

Eleventh Hour.....

This is a long due post...one I’ve been attempting to write since a year now but something always got on my way. The first time I felt this unwielding emotion was a year back. It was a Sunday morning and I was home for my winter vacations. After my breakfast I lethargically dragged myself across the hallway and turned on the television. As I zapped through the channels my attention got caught in a documentary aired by discovery channel, “The eleventh hour.” It was about the earth’s future.....Our future. The catastrophe approaching us.......The terrible specter of the aftermath of the judgement day. I felt queasiness spread through me. A year later as I watched a movie on my laptop a similar feeling overcame me. As the movie proceeded the queasiness in the gut returned, then worsened and became something dismayingly familiar.
The movie was "2012." When this movie was released the question of the end of the world loomed overhead. Many people refused to accept it, some merely waved it off like a fly while others said the world would end but not in the near future. Well I am indecisive and in a dilemma about this entire issue.
I don’t want to think that the human race or the world would come to an end one day because the thought in itself is very horrifying. But being a student of science I simply cannot overlook the indications scientists and geologists have been giving us. The earth is dying slowly and painfully and we are its muted audience.
Well I was once having a chat with my friend about this when his question stunned me. He asked me if I was willing to give up travelling by cars and ride a bicycle instead. As I contemplated over it I realised that even I was not willing to do it!!! Asking anybody else was simply preposterous. But I realised the comforts of today which we are so accustomed to might turn into monstrous grips strangling our children tomorrow. A little self- sacrifice from each one of us might just be able to save the world for our children to grow old in.....I remember seeing a little girl holding a poster once which said "Save the world till I grow up". I think its time we give a little more thought to what the little one meant......

4 comments:

  1. Indeed there's a lot to be done because we need to evolve in the ways we handle our resources and what we give back to the planet( in our case it's green house gases!!!!)But at the same time we need to keep our scientific minds open because a lot of stuff that we see and read is not always true but an ensemble of twisted facts conceived purely to fulfill the objectives of a group which largely stays anonymous and invisible. Consider this article... and get a sneak peek at the brief history of global warming.....http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/12/understanding_climategates_hid.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know if the world's gonna end so soon! but yea, if we aren't too careful..it would end a lot sooner.

    so chill, stop worrying about 2012 and watch peter pan instead will ye! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah.. the end of the world is not gonna be a one day event.... first there will be global warming and weather change.... it will cause bad crops, high food prices, diseases, economic slowdown. The economic revival strategies will have even worse impact on climate and then due to oil crisis there will be war.... then there will be crimes due to unemployment.... and total collapse of world order... then slowly we will all starve to death.... and yeah... cannibalism before death cant be ruled out!!!!!!! That's how the world's gonna end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey all f dis is true ....but global warming is slow death whereas wat is depicted in 2012 is expected instantaneous pole shift on 21 dec 2012....though NASA has negated its possibility...

    ReplyDelete